Finer, thinner hair without that “stubble” feeling and the results last weeks longer than shaving without razor burn. If you are prone to ingrown hair, waxing will reduce or completely get rid of them.
Eyebrow waxing is popular because all hairs are removed, including the finer hairs that are difficult to tweeze. You also have the benefit of a professional shaping your brows into the most flattering shape for you.
Does waxing hurt?
Yes, some pain during waxing is inevitable because waxing removes hair from the root. The amount of pain will vary with hair thickness and skin type. This pain will only occur as the hair is being removed, you will not experience any pain afterward. Most people find that waxing is less painful than they anticipated. We use special hard wax in delicate areas in order to minimize discomfort.
With regular waxing, the hair comes out more easily and the pain diminishes. Most people notice less pain on the second or third session.
How long does my hair have to be in order to be waxed?
Body hair must be long enough that you can grab it with your fingertips. For most people, this means about two weeks of growth since the last shave or four to six weeks since the last wax. Facial hair must be long enough that you could grip it easily with tweezers.
How long does waxing last?
Hair growth varies from person to person and will slow with regular waxing appointments. You can expect to be due for your next wax roughly 4 weeks after your last appointment.
Estimated growth for a new client:
- Medium to Coarse Hair – Roughly 2 weeks|
- Fine Hair – Roughly 3 weeks or longer
What should I do to prepare for waxing?
- Clean the area
- Do not lotion or apply makeup to the area.
- Trim the hair if longer than ¾”
- Avoid bed tanning or sun exposure the day of your wax. This will increase your skin’s sensitivity.
- Optional: Take ibuprofin at least 30 minutes prior to your wax. This will reduce the pain and calm inflammation.
What about aftercare?
- Avoid sun exposure or tanning booths for at least 24 hours after as the waxed area will be much more likely to burn
- Avoid vigorous workouts, hot showers, and hot tubs for several hours after
- We will apply soothing gel or oil to the freshly waxed area, but you can also use an over the counter cortisone cream if you would like more aftercare
- To prevent ingrown hairs after waxing, we recommend a quick daily exfoliation with a loofah or body scrub. This process can start as soon as 24 hours after your appointment.
What is the difference between a bikini wax and a brazilian wax?
A bikini wax removes any hair that would be revealed by a swimsuit on the bikini line and areas closer to the navel and lower belly as well as slightly under your underwear line, closer to the pubic area.
A Brazilian wax removes the hair from the entire pubic area, including the labia. The client can request to have hair removed from the buttock area during this service as well. Some clients chose to leave a strip of hair in the front, others choose to go completely bare.
We recommend that clients try a regular bikini wax prior to going for the full Brazilian.
Do men get waxed?
Yes! Men often come in to get their eyebrows waxed for a well-groomed yet masculine appearance. They also frequently opt for nose, ear, chest and back waxing.
Should anyone NOT get waxed?
The following individuals are discouraged from waxing and will likely be more satisfied with a different hair removal option:
- Individuals with very delicate or very sensitive skin
- Anyone using Accutane
- Anyone with broken, sunburned, or irritated skin in the area to be waxed
- Anyone with an allergy to beeswax
- Anyone who has recently undergone an aggressive skin treatment in the area to be waxed such as a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or photofacials
- Individuals on blood thinners will have increased risk to bruising during and after a waxing service
Please inform us immediately if you are using any type of prescription topical on the face. These people must exercise caution when waxing. We highly recommend a wax consultation in which we will patch test the area 24 hours prior to the actual waxing service. Anyone using over the counter retinoids, AHAs or BHAs, or acne treatments should also inform us and schedule a wax consultationp prior to the waxing service. In most cases we can tell immediately if waxing is recommended.